Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Frenzy, Frolic and a Few Fireworks on the Fifth


My day started out quite "interesting" on the 5th. I can honestly say that in the almost fifteen years that I have lived in Tennessee, this was a first. It would also suit me just fine if it were a "last"...

Picture, if you will, coming downstairs to cook breakfast on the Saturday morning of your long vacation weekend. Per Gregory's request, I turn the oven on to prepare for the fixing of Grands Cinnamon Rolls. When what do my wondering eyes behold? A raccoon asleep on my back deck. Now, ladies & gentlemen, there is no cause to be alarmed. Common sense was the "ruler of the morning". I don't care how cute a raccoon is, one does NOT get near unless one is more that just a "wee bit daft in the head". I proceed in making some noise to wake up my unexpected deck guest.

I do have to say that at first it was rather amusing. If I were to initially interpret the scene, it would be as follows... "Sheesh, lady - would you STOP the banging; I'm up, I'm up!! I can't help it if me and the fellas partied too hard last night. I passed out on your back deck because I just didn't have it in me to take ONE more STEP to make it back home before sunrise. Gimme a break, will ya?"...

However, much as it looked like this at first, that was not the case. This poor little guy had one of three things wrong with him:
  1. He'd been poisoned
  2. He had distemper
  3. He had rabies
Now of course NONE of these options is even a remotely "good" possibility. After much trial and error, a very nice man from the City Animal Control came out and removed "Rocco" from my back deck. The trial & error came from my my home being technically in the "county" and therefore falling under the jurisdiction of County Animal Control (whom I couldn't ever get ahold of).

After a leisurely and thankfully uneventful drive, Gregory & I arrive at Uncle Nathan & Aunt Lisa's house in Murfreesboro to pick up "The Gabester". Lisa and Gabe are in the backyard doing various puppy chores. Unfortunately, Nathan is toiling away at the "Wicked Double C" (my recent nickname for Circuit City) and will not arrive until later.


Gabe had an amazing time that week. He went to work with Aunt Lisa everyday at MTSU. He attended the Sports Day Camp there and had a blast. He got private swimming lessons every morning with "Miss Alex" and learned a TON. Take a wild guess at his FAVORITE part of the swimming lessons???? =)


We amused ourselved with the puppykins - Amity and she amused herself with her little wading pool - it was hot enough I just about joined her... I gave it some serious consideration, let me tell ya!

We were all MIGHTY brave being in that backyard at that time of day... I have two words for you....

SKEETER FOOD

Which was the last thing I needed (or wanted). I can look like a skeeter pin cushion in no time flat, so after a little while, we were all sporting little yellow ankle bracelets to ward off the pesky critters.
As Gabe so delicately put it, "The only thing that likes to come around this thing is flies - because the bracelet smells like crap!" Well, I'll take that any day to try & keep from getting "et up" (as some of my southern friends might say).

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

  1. Reading your story reminds me of the movie The Great Outdoors and the raccoons who keep raiding the trash cans.

    Raccoon: Where are all the garbage cans?
    Raccoon: He probably put them in the cabin.
    Raccoon: Garbage cans in the cabin?
    Raccoon: They're not the cleanist species on the face of the earth, you know. It's not a problem. We'll just have to break in.
    Raccoon: Can we do that?
    Raccoon: What do you think we have these wonderfully articulate fingers for? To scratch our asses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ever happened with Rocco. What did the poor thing have???
    The post was most delightful....
    Your MO

    ReplyDelete